Megatape (Exabyte) Write times out.

745 adams at swbatl.sbc.com
Tue Jun 5 03:19:48 AEST 1990

I'm having great difficulty installing two Megatape drives on a Pyramid 9815.
We have a single TPE, which had a Cipher drive and a Kennnedy daisy-chained off
of it.  This seemed to work ok.  We bought two Megatape units, and installed
them in the middle of that chain, so that there are four drives attached to
the TPE.  Physically the units are Cipher, Megatape, Megatape, Kennedy.
The Kennedy is terminated & the Megatapes are not.

The Megatapes  are configured as Unit 2 & 3 ( SW1 = UDUUUUUU & DDUUUUUU
: where D = DOWN = ON & U = UP = OFF {SW1 leftmost}) and a transfer rate
of 250 KB/sec. (SW2 = UDUDUUUD).  The Kennedy is unit 0 and the Cipher
is Unit 1.  I'd change the unit select settings to match physical location
but I don't have that data on the Cipher & Kennedy drives.

The Kennedy & Cipher still work fine, and it seems that we can write to the
Megatapes, but the write never completes (e.g. dump never returns).
If I futz with stuff long enough ( killing processes & retrying) I get
a message saying that the write timed out and the TPE is down.  After this
I must reboot before I can use any tape drive. We are running OSX 4.4.

Also once I try to write to a Megatape the write select light comes on and
stays on until I power cycle the drive.

Is anyone using a similar configuration sucessfully?
uunet!swbatl!adams or adams at swbatl.sbc.com
Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell Telephone Advanced Technology Lab
BOOKS WANTED: pre-1930 radio, electrical & scientific topics