limit on telnet sessions

Chris Jankowski chris at ubeaut.enet.dec.com
Fri Jun 7 14:34:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun5.180245.19975 at geac.com> you write:
>Can anyone tell me the absolute maximum number of incoming telnet
>sessions on an MIS-4 (8540) and/or MIS-12 (8580) with a single TPE
>interface?  I know this is probably buried in a manual someplace,
>but I can't find it.  Is it limited by the number of pseudo ttys
>that can be defined, or something else?

2048 if memory serves me right.
You need to generate those ptys (probably by hand).
(You may also try to use /etc/makeptys or something such, but it used to
be buggy above 128 ptys).

>I'm also interested in practical limits on the number of users that
>can be connected to an Ethernet network.  I realize that would
>likely be expressed as a function of the traffic generated by
>each user, plus other factors.  I'd be interested in hearing about
>any real life experience that you'd like to share.

The largest number of logged in telnet users I have seen on a Pyramid was
about 530.

There is really no hard limit on a *bridged* Ethernet network other than
Ethernet addressing capability which is in the order of 2**48, which
should be sufficient I think (:-).

When you add more load to your Ethernet the response time will
suffer but the network will stay up.
(I am talking here about a bridged Ethernet with bridges of finite
throuput and reasonable topology.)

However if your users are actually doing something on a single large
host it is likely that at some point they will saturate a resource
on the host and from this point onwards adding more users will
cause a very quick deterioration in response time.

Speaking for myself only, etc...

 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ Chris Jankowski - Open Systems Eng.- chris at ubeaut.enet.dec.com
 |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia)   tel.+61 3 655 5622
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ 45 Exibition St, Melbourne 3000, AUSTRALIA  fax +61 3 655 5655

 ... and in the last 50 years ... there has never been a famine in a country
 with a free press         - Lawrence Summers - chief economist - World Bank