Quota handling

Reinhard Doelz doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Wed Jan 18 17:59:00 AEST 1989

Hi all,
We're running a 4D/80GT with 16 megs core and 2x380 megs disk memory
as a multi-user machine on a network (DECNET - we're using 4DDN.)
Besides graphics, the iris is used as number-cruncher by several users,
and this implies that I have to check the disk space frequently
in order to avoid reaching the 100%. This bothers me, and I know disquota
tools from CONVEX and CRAY. The workaround I use now is that I try to run
groups of users in different partitions, which works fairly well. However,
now one user is able to sabotage his entire group. Therefore, I'd like to have

a disquota utility which

* measures the space used by a single user
* compares this value with a value stored in a table
* sets the user to a restricted shell enabling him to delete the files
  causing the trouble.

I think that there might be some of you having the same problem.
Thanks for any suggestions and hints.

Reinhard

  *   Dr. Reinhard Doelz           *           SWITZERLAND               *
  *     Biocomputing               *                                     *
  *      Biozentrum                * doelz%urz.unibas.ch at relay.cs.net    *
  * Klingelbergstrasse 70          *                                     *
  *     CH-4056 Basel              *                                     *