3rd Party Hardware

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at masig3.masig3.ocean.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 31 03:31:09 AEST 1989

In article <8910301436.AA16360 at lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov>
fsfacca at LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

>"Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854" <blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov> writes:

>>  NO, SGI's pricing does not make sence.  Why should we pay SGI
>> $22,000 for 24Mb of memory and have only a 90 day warranty, when
>> we can buy the same amount of memory from someone else for less than
>> $6000 and get a lifetime replacement garantee?
>  ^^^^^

>Brent,
>Your point is well taken.  However, you exaggerate.  You can buy the same
>amount of memory from Clearpoint for around $4000.  :-)

>Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318

Does anyone know what speed is required for the SIMM's in a Personal
IRIS 4D/20 and 4D/25?  For the NeXT machine, it is possible to find 1
MB 100 ns page-mode SIMM's for under $100!  Since the 4D/20 is only
running at 12.5 MHz and the NeXT is running at 25 MHz, the memory
speed should be comparable (assuming that the Motorola chip is running
on a multi-cycle memory access scheme).

John D. McCalpin - mccalpin at masig1.ocean.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at scri1.scri.fsu.edu
		   mccalpin at delocn.udel.edu