csh and batch (again)

Finn Drablos finn.drablos at sintef.no
Wed Jan 10 18:23:00 AEST 1990

> How do I get csh as the default shell when I submit jobs with batch ?
> According to the man-page on at/batch (or maybe it was the .proto page),
> the shell environment variables (including SHELL) are retained. But
> when I try to send jobs to the batch queue, I get a warning that sh will
> be used, even though I have csh as my default. I am no unix-guru, so the
> answer may be quite simple. But at least I have not been able to find it
> in the documentation. We are running Irix 3.1D.

==================

Recently I mailed this question to info-iris. Due to mail problems I have
not received any answers mailed to info-iris, but two answers mailed
directly to me show that I probably did not explain my problem well enough.
So I try once more.

I have a program doit. Normally I start it in background with

    user> doit inputfile &

However, for various reasons I want to use the batch queue on the Iris
for running the jobs. Therefore I use the batch command.

    user> batch
    doit inputfile
    ^D

But the problem is that sh is used in the batch script, even though csh
is my default shell. The environment for doit is defined in .cshrc, and
therefore the program is not executed correctly, as .cshrc is not sourced
by sh. But according to the documentation the batch job retains the
environment of the job creating the job (please see the at and
.proto man pages). So why do I get sh, and not csh ?

Please mail any answers directly to me, as I don't know when my connection
to info-iris will be ok. I will summarize on the list if I get any
interesting information.

Finn Drablos                 PHONE +47 7 597710       FAX +47 7 597708
MR-Senteret, UNIMED, SINTEF  C=no;P=uninett;O=sintef;G=finn;S=drablos;
N-7034 TRONDHEIM, NORWAY     MHS(EAN)    : finn.drablos at sintef.no
                             EARN/BITNET : drabloes at norunit