IRIX 3.3 Question

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at bigboote.sgi.com
Tue Jul 17 01:06:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul13.192925.1898 at ultra.com> shj at ultra.com (Steve Jay) writes:
>In <11056 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu> krk at cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) writes:
>
>>	This may seem like a silly question, but how do you get IRIX
>>3.3?  We have software support on our two 4D/20's and two 4D/25's, and
>>we thought we would automatically be sent the upgrade.  Do we
>>specifically have to ask for it or should we have received it already?
>
>I was told by an SGI person, who appears to know what's going on, that 3.3
>is NOT a "push" release.  This means 3.3 will be sent only to those who ask
>for it, or those who are on record with SGI has having bugs that are fixed
>in 3.3.
>
>I'm not sure of the procedure for asking for it.  I'd try calling
>the hotline/helpline (or whatever it's called), and then contact your
>local salesperson if that doesn't work.
>
>Steve Jay
>shj at ultra.com  ...ames!ultra!shj
>Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Dagget Drive / San Jose, CA 95134 / USA
>(408) 922-0100 x130	"Home of the 1 Gigabit/Second network"

As mentioned in another posting, certain hardware requires 3.3, and
that's often the reason someone has a copy already. Also, certain
developers and OEMs, known as Geometry Partners, get distribution
earlier than everyone else.

We also have a contractual obligation to our Geometry Partners to give
them time to check out their code on the new release.

All customers with appropriate service contracts with Silicon Graphics
will be getting distribution of the 3.3 release. All of the factory
production lines will also roll to the 3.3 release. Anyone who does
not have a service contract with SGI will have to purchase the update.

Hope that helps.

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support
				Customer Support Division
email: dunlap at sgi.com		Silicon Graphics Computer Systems