how do I tell how many processors there are?

Dave Ciemiewicz ciemo at bananapc.wpd.sgi.com
Wed Feb 13 06:32:39 AEST 1991

In article <9102121402.AA10390 at ccfiris.aedc>, c60244 at ccfiris.aedc (Kenny McDonald) writes:

|> Try (hinv) to see you hardware inventory.  The first line should tell you
|> how many processors there are on your machine.  In order to run a process on
|> a particular processor try the (runon) command.

The other way to tell is by the machine designation number:

	4D/cp0	c = system processor "class"
		p = # of processors

Following this designation scheme you have:

	4D/210	1 processor
	4D/220	2 processors
	4D/240	4 processors

	4D/310	1 processor
	4D/320	2 processor
	4D/340	4 processor
	4D/380	8 processor

If your system had an upgrade to two processors, the label might say 4D/210
but hinv, osview, and gr_osview should all indicate two processors.  hinv
should report:

	2 25 MHZ IP7 Processors