Info Needed on Color Scanner

Dave Olson olson at newmedia.esd.sgi.com
Sat Feb 9 09:45:57 AEST 1991

In <9102081554.AA03129 at trillian.jsc.nasa.gov> john at TRILLIAN.JSC.NASA.GOV (John Fwu/BTI) writes:

| In article <9102072208.AA06746 at banach.aca.mcc.com>, <nong at mcc.com>
| (Nong Tarlton) writes:
|

| >We are looking for a color image scanner (digitizer) to hookup with our
| >PI.  Does anyone know of any, other than the Cannon laser printer/scanner.
| >

| Under IRIX 3.3.1 /usr/sbin/scanner supported Sharp FX-450 Color image scanner
| or the Howtek scanner (an OEM'ed version of the FX-450).
|
| A lab in our area has a Howtek Scanmaster II scanner connected to a VGX.
| They have had no problems using third party software to scan images,
| but they have had no luck with /usr/sbin/scanner.  They are wondering
| if anyone (SGI?) can give them the source code.  They did 'strings scanner'
| and didn't find the escape sequence (printable strings) which is used
| to control a Howtek Scanmaster II scanner on a Masscomp UNIX workstation.

There are usually many ways to do initialization of devices.  The Howtek
should work.  What kind of error messages did the scanner program give?
Without more info, it would be hard to say what the problem is.

In 3.3, the scanner program also supports the Ricoh FS1 color SCSI
scanner, which is a 400dpi scanner.  It also supports the Ricoh IS11,
which is b/w.