INST removes/replaces important files (flame).

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com
Tue Feb 5 05:10:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan31.130801.1349 at urz.unibas.ch>, doelz at urz.unibas.ch writes:

> Yesterday, I installed 3.3.2 (option AUTOMATIC in INST).
>
> The init.ps file for the window manager startup and the inetd for the
> communication are automatically modified (changed to the new version)
>without notification. This should be removed in future releases, because there
> is some work in these files. There should be a .O or similar extension.

All "configuration files" are handled by some simple rules.  Each
configuration file is labelled in our source as "noupdate", "update", or
"suggest".  When installing new software, inst notes whether the existing,
old copy of a configurat file has been changed from the SGI-shipped
contents of the previous release.  From these 6 states, inst does:

   "noupdate", changed or not:  leave the existing file alone, discard new
	       version from the tape.

   "update", changed: move old version to foo.O, and install new version.

   "update", unchanged: install new version on top of old version.

   "suggest", changed: install new version as foo.N

   "suggest", unchanged: install new version on top of old version.

Inetd.conf was marked as "update" in 3.3.2.

There is a mechanism that seems to have been broken in 3.3.2 that is
supposed to complain to the console as the system is booted if there are
any unresolved configuration file changes.  The mechanism just ran
`versions changed`.

Are you saying that you had changed inetd.conf, but that inst installed
wrote a new inetd.conf on top of your changes without saving them in
inetd.conf.O?  What does `versions changed` report?

vjs