input queue

rbriber at POLY1.NIST.GOV rbriber at POLY1.NIST.GOV
Thu Mar 7 00:19:00 AEST 1991

Dan Schreiber writes:

> I'm running 2 processes on a Personal Iris v.3.3 that both use graphics
> at the same time.  I'm having problems getting the correct process to
> recognize when it has control of the input queue (ie, when the mouse is
> over a window controlled by that process).  Many times, the mouse is
> over a window, but no input is recognized by that window.  I suspect this
> is a system problem because the same thing happens in the 4sight Interface
> on occasion.  Moving the mouse out of the window, and then moving it back in
> always works, but I'm afraid an end user would not appreciate this extra step.
> (Note: this problem occurs when the mouse is in "arrow" mode, so the solution
> is not that the mouse must have been in "circle" mode, where no input is
> recognized by the queue).

I've noticed this in both Irix 3.2 and 3.3.  I'm not sure but at one time
I thought it correlated to when a window opened up under the mouse cursor.  The
window didn't seem to notice that it should have the input focus.  Moving the
mouse out and back into the window would establish input focus for that window.
Annoying sometimes but not too big a deal...

 | Adios Amebas,         |"In the future we will all have names that will |
 | Rob Briber            | make the cathode ray tube resonate."           |
 | NIST 224/B210         |             --Professor Brian O'Blivion        |
 | Gaithersburg, MD 20899|  rbriber at poly1.nist.gov   (Internet)           |
 | (301) 975-6775 (voice)|  rbriber at enh.nist.gov     (Internet)           |
 | (301) 975-2128 (fax)  |  rbriber at nbsenh.bitnet    (Bitnet)             |