Newsreaders...

Anthony J. Persechini ajp2o at crocus.medicine.rochester.edu
Sat May 18 03:57:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991May16.161042.11782 at news.iastate.edu>,
bryan at pi.eai.iastate.edu (Bryan Manske) writes:
|> In Article #9295 damc at dap.csiro.au (Don McCormick) writes:
|>
|> >Reading of news articles using rn is not a problem, but if you try
|> >reply to an article or save an article on some occasions you can
drop
|> >out of rn with the error.
|>
|> >        "Unexpected close of server socket"
|>
|> >Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
|>
|> Ditto, While I was able to make nntp work, rrn still is not
completely
|> foolproof.  (of course not, I compiled it.)
|>
|> General discussion of this would be appreciated...
|>
|> Bryan.
|>

|> --
|> Bryan Manske  (515) 296-9908        . Sometimes I wish I had a knob
|> Engineering Animation, Inc.         . turn up the intelligence on
the
|> bryan at pi.eai.iastate.edu            . Internet.  I have one on my
monitor
|> #include <caveat_opinion.h>         . marked 'brightness,' but it
doesn't
|> #include <standard_disclaimer.h>    . seem to work very well, does
it?

I am using the X-based program, xrn,  (ftp off shambhala.berkeley.edu)
to read news on my 4D. I think its pretty slick and has
none of the problems you mention.

However,  I recently tried to recompile xrn and it no longer
worked  properly--I mistakenly erased the ported code I had
and now cannot remember what  changes I made.  I am a complete
novice so I am sure there is not much involved. If anyone
out there knows what the necessary changes are, I would appreciate
hearing from you.

I will post what ever I learn to this newsgroup.

--
Anthony Persechini				Dept. of Physiology, Box 642
Assistant Professor				School of Medicine
ajp2o at crocus.medicine.rochester.edu 		Rochester, NY  14642