SUN 3/60 rebooting

Marcel Bernards ecn!marcel at nluug.nl
Wed Apr 26 12:05:57 AEST 1989

Yep!

We have also a lot of 3/50 (25) and a few 3/60.  I had one for a while and
I had also spurious reboots .  A few other 3/60 machines shows the same
phenomena.  When I had a 3/60 it runned as a small server (SUNOS 3.5) I
saw it with several times. Other colleagues reported the same problems
with 4.0 so it seemes to me it's a hardware design issue....

But which hardware is probably responsible for reboots.

I questioned some 3/60 owners and i discovered some interesting things..:

-  All Older 3/60 have these problems ( before April '88)
-  It is not clear if the newer one we own could show the same phenomena
-  It seems to show up when there is noise on the power line .
   (it shows up when somone is messing' with power cords in the neighbourhood
   or if there is a lot of heavy  or noisy equipment on the 220 V )

The SUN EURO 220V connector at the back is also a bit touchy, but this is
not a 3/60 problem only.

I'm considering a test with an extra Net filter. between the wall outlet
and the SUN power cord.

Is there someone who tested this before ????

Greetings

Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: 09 312246 4342 EARN/BITNET:ESU0130 at HPEENR51
IP: marcel%ecn.uucp at nluug.nl UUCP: marcel at ecn.uucp,marcel%ecn.uucp at uunet.uu.net
SCREAMNet : AAAAAARGHH!HUH?? : Disclaimer: "The AntiChrist is the Computer !"