Opening a second window

David Geary ssc-vax!dmg at beaver.cs.washington.edu
Fri Aug 4 08:04:48 AEST 1989

First, thanks to all who responded to my request concerning closing a
window without confirming.  Now I have a another question...

I open a window (window #1) under SunView using window_create(), and then
a subsequent call to window_main_loop().  If I detect certain events in
the window, I want another window to open (window #2), and receive events
in the new window.  When a certain event occurs in window #2, I close the
window, and want to start getting events in window #1 once again.

  Here's what I want to do:

  create_window()        creates window #1
  window_main_loop()     for window #1

  later on...

  create_window()        creates window #2
  window_main_loop()     for window #2

  later on...

  window_done()          for window #2

  At this point, I want to start getting events for window
#1 again.

  When I try this, I run into problems:

  1.  When I call window_main_loop() for window #2, I
      get:

      Notifier error: Invalid argument

  2.  When I quit out of window #2, I get a stream of:

                        .
			.
			.
     WIN ioctl number 2000671E: Bad file number
     WIN ioctl number C00C671D: Bad file number
     WIN ioctl number C014671F: Bad file number
     WIN ioctl number C0146720: Bad file number
     WIN ioctl number 2000671E: Bad file number
                        .
			.
			.

  3.  After quitting out of window #2, window #1
      is dead in the water.  It gets no events.

  I must be hosing the notifier by calling window_main_loop()
a second time before the first call to window_main_loop()
returns.

  I realize that I could use a SunView popup to do what I
want, but, for reasons I won't go into, I need it to be just
a regular old window.

  BTW I have RTFM, but I've gotten nowhere ;-(

Any suggestions?

--
 David Geary, Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
 "I wish I lived where it *only* rains 364 days a year"