Help needed for 3/60 video problem

Joe S. Chen joec%skat.usc.edu at usc.edu
Fri Aug 18 13:59:24 AEST 1989

I have been experiencing problems with my Sun 3/60M console that I was
told might be common among many 3/60s.  It started two months ago when I
initiated a cold startup, the machine aborted right after doing fsck on
all filesystems.  The console display looked garbled but easy to clear.
Few days past, the machine still failed to cold-start the first time
(second time worked most of the times), but the monitor, garbled from
power-up, took 15 minutes before working.  Couple of days later, the
monitor took 30 minutes before becoming readable.  As weeks went by, the
monitor took longer and longer before returning to normal.  The machine
still had trouble booting from cold.  And now, the monitor does not return
to normal, period.  I only see a white, blank screen.  The machine can
successfully cold-boot the first time.  At least some of the times.

I don't suspect it is the problem of the monitor.  It seems that some
analog circuit or transister(s) gave out on the monchrome video board.
(I'm not a hardware person, so I don't qualify to make educated guesses.)
If anyone has experienced or are aware of such problem, your input is
greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

					Joe Chen
					joec at usc.edu
					{sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!usc!joec

p.s. When I say "cold" start, I mean the machine was turned off for
many hours (at least overnight) before it is powered on again.