What differentiates a Workstation from a PC

G. Ewing greg at nz.ac.canterbury.cantaur
Fri Aug 18 12:34:46 AEST 1989

Chris Calabrese[mav] (cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com) writes:
>In "workstations", either the graphics board can do many of these
>things itself (i.e. the Sun color framebuffers...)

>A 25Mhz '386 AT&T box running X windows is slower than
>a Sun 3/60 running NeWS, yet the '386 has more raw cpu power.  I
>believe this is due to the above mentioned differences in the way the
>graphics boards work.

Is this right? Does a colour 3/60 really have special graphics hardware?
And if so, is it documented anywhere? I've never seen anything about it in
the manuals.

Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept, Canterbury Univ., Christchurch, New Zealand
UUCP: 	  ...!{watmath,munnari,mcvax,vuwcomp}!cantuar!greg
Internet: greg at cantuar.uucp		+--------------------------------------
Spearnet: greg at nz.ac.canterbury.cantuar | A citizen of NewZealandCorp, a
Telecom:  +64 3 667 001 x6367  		| wholly-owned subsidiary of Japan Inc.