2/120 as servers?

Michael DeCorte mrd at sun.soe.clarkson.edu
Wed Feb 22 16:56:05 AEST 1989

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has the following basic configuration or
knows about it.

3/50's and 3/60's hooked up to

2/120 with
  XY 451 and 850 meg CDC drives (in other words capable of 2.3M/sec transfer)
  4 Meg ram
  Sun OS 4.0.1 (not optional)

You see I have a few of these things and would like to use them as disk
servers.  They will be doing nothing else except servering disks.  Think
of them as a poor man's server.  They seem fully capable of pushing the
disks to their all out max but I can't really test their either capability
without hooking them up to a bunch of 50's and abusing the 50's for a few
days.

I have this gut feeling that a 2/120 should be able to handle 4-6 clients
but I can't really tell and would really like to hear from ANYONE who as
really done this.  If you have hard numbers comparing them to a 3/260 or
3/280 then I would be in heaven.

If you do have something to tell me please mail to
mrd at sun.soe.clarkson.edu. I would like to hear from you as soon as
possible as some decisions must be made very quickly.

thank you
--

Michael DeCorte // (315)265-2439 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet: mrd at sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet:   mrd at clutx.bitnet

Clarkson Archive Server // commands = help, index, send, path
archive-server at sun.soe.clarkson.edu
archive-server%sun.soe.clarkson.edu at omnigate.bitnet
dumb1!dumb2!dumb3!smart!sun.soe.clarkson.edu!archive-server