Graphics performance of Sun 386i

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Tue Feb 14 17:45:06 AEST 1989

>This month "Unix Review" published a review of the Sun 386i which gave
> an overall rating of average. ...  What surprised me most however is
> how slow the graphics really are on the Sun 386i.

My own experience with the 386i does not agree with these benchmarks.  We
recently installed the DataViews graphics package on my 386i and it
displays images to the screen noticeably faster than on our 3/60.  An
image containing about 3,000 vectors (US and states boundaries) displays
about 30% to 40% faster by my quick and dirty measurements.

I plan to try to do some more careful measurements of this performance
difference.  I'll post the results here.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
  gfr at cobra.mitre.org