Diskless client under 4.0

Len Evens len%rufus.math.nwu.edu at eecs.nwu.edu
Tue Feb 14 21:07:10 AEST 1989

We are adding a 3/60 to a network served by a 3/260 (with 8M of physical
memory and 16M of swap space for the server) which currently has one other
diskless client.   When the server was set up (by the Sun engineer) it was
provided with a 16M partition mounted on /export/swap, and that was used
as the swap path for the client.   I plan to repartition the disk to allow
space for the second client, but as an interim measure I created a
directory /home/swap (on the /home partition) and made that the swap path
for the second client.   The client boots, but at the end of the boot
sequence, it complains of NFS write error 13 several times and then comes
up multiuser.   However, sunview is painfully slow while it works fine on
the first client.   Does anyone have any explanations or helpful advice?
I have found the documentation misleading and very little help.

One other point I don't understand.   The shell script setup_client on our
machines does not have a `dumppath' parameter while the documentation
seems to call for one.   Is this the result of some decision made during
the original installation or is it just an error in the documentation?