accidental rm

Michael C. Nolan nolan at cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue Mar 14 18:52:58 AEST 1989

>"restore"---provided that you run "dump" on a regular basis.  No
>joke.  Backups are more than just protection against disk catastrophe,
>they're good for when the department chairman accidentally removes the
>only copy of the proposal that was due in yesterday. ...   --wnl

This of course assumes you can convince the system manager that it's its
job to do backups.  I'm in a very data-intensive (images) environment,
where about 1/3 of the data can change every day, and there are good
reasons why nobody wants the job of backing it all up, least of all the
system manager who is also doing development.  With workstations this may
be especially difficult, as the "system" can be distributed over a wide
area.  No answers here, it's a problem.

nolan at hiips.lpl.arizona.edu;   ...!noao!solpl!hiips

[[ Said in jest:  "that's what undergraduates are for!"  --wnl ]]