NFS booting code

Jim Thompson Sun Dallas SWAN Engineer jthomp at central.sun.com
Wed Mar 29 14:29:32 AEST 1989

boulder!fesk!arch at handies.ucar.edu (Arch Mott):
>> I feel that one of the nicer things SUN has done with 4.0 is the inclusion
>> of boot service in NFS as opposed to nd. However, when I talk to non-Sun
>> vendors about their diskless workstations which run NFS they all have the
>> same reply: Gee, we're sorry but Sun has yet to distribute the NFS boot
>> code to us folks with NFS Licenses.

I can't belive that's true.  Convex licenses NFS from SMI, and *they*
support booting diskless workstations via the 4.0 scheme.  Diskless NFS
support is available in Version 7.0 of Convex OS.

I speak neither for Convex, (where I used to work,) not Sun, (where I work
now.)  I just know this little tidbit.

						Jim