Restoring manufacturer's media defects (summ

David R. Kaelbling igor!drk at uunet.uu.net
Thu Mar 30 19:57:18 AEST 1989

A few issues back I posted a plea for help in restoring the manufacturers
media defect list for a disk I had formatted once too often.  The replies
I received fell into these categories:

1) format(8) under SunOS 4.0 has an option for this.

2) The obvious arithmetic involving (byte % 600) etc. should work for
converting cc/hh/byte/nbits to cc/hh/sss.

3) The 3.2 release notes manual (always my first stop for questions about
3.5) actually describes diag's sformat command, which also has an option
for this.

Thanks to all who responded.

	David

David Kaelbling                                       (408) 496-3600
c/o Rational; 3320 Scott Boulevard; Santa Clara, CA       95054-3197
drk at Rational.COM, drk at igor.uu.net, ...!{uunet,ubvax,amdcad}!igor!drk