Serial Line Settings

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Mar 31 10:46:31 AEST 1989

>yup - you can set the flag, and getty will proceede accordingly.  you type
>your login, "/bin/login" runs, and ... guess what ... looks to me like
>"/bin/login" sets back to 7/odd ... (Sun 4/260 SunOS 4.0.1)

Bug # 1012922, as described in the Customer Distributed Bugs list in the
December 1988 Software Technical Bulletin.  As stated there:

	Synopsis: "login" blindly resets PASS8 mode

	   "getty" supports a "p8" capability in "/etc/gettytab", which
	   is intended  to permit you to attach terminals in 8 data
	   bits, no parity bit, mode (or to run the Sun workstation
	   console in 8-bit mode).  Unfortunately, "login" turns PASS8
	   mode off, which undoes the work.  "getty" does to set PASS8
	   mode (*sic*); this means that some output from "login" will
	   be scrambled on terminals in 8 data bits, no parity bit, mode
	   even if you do not put "stty pass8" in your ".profile" or
	   ".login" file.

	Workaround:
	   Make sure you set "pass8" in your ".profile" or ".login", and
	   ignore the garbage that appears.

I think the last sentence in "Description:" should read "even if you *do*
put 'stty pass8' in your '.profile' or '.login' file."; I don't think I
said it that way when I originally submitted that bug report.  I don't
know what the scrambled sentence flagged with (*sic*) was supposed to
be....

"login" came that way from Berkeley; it can be considered a bug there, as
well, since the "f0", "f1", and "f2" flags include the local mode bits in
the upper 16 bits, and there exist other flags such as "dx" that affect
those mode bits, so "getty" *does* let you dink with those flag bits.

The fix is to:

	1) modify "login" to leave PASS8 mode alone;

	2) modify clients of "login" other than "getty" (e.g.,
	   "in.rlogind" and "in.telnetd") to forcibly set or clear
	   PASS8, since "login" will no longer ensure that it has a
	   fixed setting).

This fix should be in 4.1, and may be in some dot-dot release as well.