printcap & ypprintcap problem and quota problem under 4.0.1

daedalus!kovar%husc4 at talcott.harvard.edu daedalus!kovar%husc4 at talcott.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 30 16:55:45 AEST 1989

I'm getting slighly fed up with the 4.0.1 release on the 386i and very fed
up with Sun's hotline. So, we turn once again to Sun-Spots.

Under 4.0, we had a 386i using a remote printer on another Sun. I just
added the entry to /etc/printcap and everything worked fine. Uder 4.0.1,
when I change printcap, lpc recognizes the change but lpr and lpq do not.
I've also tried changing /etc/ypprintcap and remaking the maps with the
same results. Any suggestions? Is there any way to prevent everything from
looking at ypprintcap and go back to the old behavior? It's also fairly
easy to get the following:

lpc> stat
lp:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	no entries
	no daemon present
lpc> down lp
unknown printer lp
lpc>

Getting rid of all the yp maps for ypprintcap causes "Unable to find yp
printcap map" or something similar. Removing /etc/printcap causes "Unable
to find printer description file." ypcat printcap results in "No such
map." lpr & lpq seem to use both /etc/printcap and the yp printcap map in
some unfathomed method. Any help would be most appreciated.

The second problem is getting quotas to work on the file server.  My
/etc/fstab entry looks like:

/dev/roota / 4.2 rw 1 1
/dev/rootg /usr 4.2 rw 1 2
/dev/rooth /files 4.2 rw,quota 1 3              <------
/dev/sd0c /files1 4.2 rw,quota 1 4              <------
/export/tmp/localhost /tmp lo rw 0 0
/export/var/localhost /var lo rw 0 0
/export/cluster/sun386.sunos4.0.1 /usr/cluster lo rw 0 0
/export/local/sun386 /usr/local lo rw 0 0

And when the system boots, I get the standard "Unknown option QUOTA" which
I am accustom to ignoring. But my mtab looks like:

/dev/roota / 4.2 rw 1 1
/dev/rootg /usr 4.2 rw 1 2
/dev/sd0c /files1 4.2 rw,quota 1 4                <------
/dev/rooth /files 4.2 rw 1 3                      <------
/export/local/sun386 /usr/local lo rw 0 0
/export/cluster/sun386.sunos4.0.1 /usr/cluster lo rw 0 0
/export/var/localhost /var lo rw 0 0
/export/tmp/localhost /tmp lo rw 0 0

The "quota" file is at the root of both of the filesystems in question.
Why is it not taking on /files when it will on /files1? Does it not like
"rooth" for some reason and it would prefer sd1h?

-David Kovar
 kovar at husc4.harvard.edu