selection service problem

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Thu Mar 23 17:21:42 AEST 1989

> I ... have repeatedly experienced an unpleasant problem ...
> Normally, when the left mouse button is clicked on text the
> underlying text is highlighted with reverse video...
> My problem is that the selected text appears underlined and no
> cut, paste,  etc. operations work.

You've gotten SunView into "secondary" mode.  SunView's notion of
"secondary" selections is nice when you want to cut one piece of text and
have it automatically place another piece of text elsewhere on the screen
(hence you need to be able to "select" two things at once!).  Read your
SunView manual for more details on how to make use of this.

If you get stuck in this mode you can always get things back to normal
using the clear_functions command.  Here is the description from the man
page:

DESCRIPTION
     clear_functions instructs  the  selection  service  that  no
     function  keys  are  currently  depressed.   It is useful in
     cases where erroneous programs have reported a key press but
     not  the  corresponding release.  The usual symptom for this
     situation is that all selections are secondary  (underscored
     rather  than  inverted),  even  though  no function keys are
     down.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
  gfr at cobra.mitre.org