Accton(8) fails on Sun 386i

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.mn.org
Fri May 5 15:46:54 AEST 1989

In article <8903191822.AA00789 at matple.ncsu.edu>, henkel at matple.ncsu.edu (Chuck Henkel) writes:
> Context: Sun 386i 150X running SunOS v4.0.1
>
> Problem: Accton(8) fails
>
> I am having problems getting the accounting cluster to work on my Sun
> 386i. Here's what I did (as superuser):
>
> 	# cd /var/adm
> 	# cat > acct
> 	^D

Its easier to just do a ">acct" (in sh/ksh) -- just being picky (:-)

> 	# ls -l acct
> 	-rw-rw-r--  1 root            0 Mar 19 13:00 acct
> 	# /usr/etc/accton /var/adm/acct
> 	accton: Invalid argument

This rather cryptic error, i believe, indicates that accounting has not been
compiled into the kernel.  Look in your /usr/sys/conf/x file for a line of the
form:

	options		SYSACCT

If this line is not present, you don't have accounting enabled.  Sun ships
their OS with accounting disabled by default.
Add this line and then remake the kernel.

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain