SUN3 Color Display blanks...

Frank Abernathy ut-emx!frank at cs.utexas.edu
Wed May 3 14:46:32 AEST 1989

I apologize for posting to this news group, but I thought the following
might have been seen by someone here.

Just wondering if anyone has seen the following.

A site here at UT had been running SUN OS 3.X on a 3-160C.  The display
was NOT blanking randomly.

When the site upgraded to SUN OS 4.0.1, the display did start randomly
blanking from 3 times an hour to once every couple of days.

The blanking will occur with any software running under SunTools.  (the
user does not want to run without SunTools to see if that might be a
problem.)

When the CONSOLE display blanks, the machine is still alive.  It is
possible to telnet, rlogin etc. into the machine.

The 501-1116 Color card was swapped and did NOT fix the problem.

The Display and cables were swapped and did NOT fix the problem.

Fastbooting, shutting down remotely via rlogin and rebooting, power
cycling, killing the processes associated with the Console, ALL get the
console display back.

Anyone got any insights into this?

Hardware? Software? Both? Neither?? :^)

Thank you!