PostScript previewers for Suns

steve at umiacs.umd.edu steve at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue May 9 20:56:18 AEST 1989

There's two that I know of.  Look at the GNU GhostScript package,
available for anonymous FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu.  I don't know the
filename; you'll have to hunt around.  This has always seemed to me (from
a very brief bit of poking at it, so I could well be wrong) to be a PS
interpreter that works moderately well, but which isn't necessarily
something at which one can just throw some TranScript output and have it
show up.  This also works only with X11 (which I regard as a feature...)

The other is Crispin Goswell's PostScript interpreter.  It's available for
FTP from a lot of places, including uunet.uu.net and expo.lcs.mit.edu.  Be
sure that you get a copy both of the basic interpreter and of the three
patch files, as this doesn't work well (if at all) without them.  You can
make xps (the X11 version, which sometimes crashes my X11 server) and
sunps (which just blits pixels onto your Sun screen, and thus which works
regardless of window system) from this package.  I've got it installed
here, and I at least am fairly pleased with it.  Also, if you're using
this package, be aware that you have to say, 'sunps -c letter filename' or
'xps -c letter filename'; if the interpreter isn't told what sort of paper
to use, it will either display nothing or core dump.  This package can be
used for previewing TranScript output, and I think can even preview Scribe
and Macintosh files with the right fiddling and/or prologue files.

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve at mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742