SCSI and Sun 4/280s

R. Reese reese at ee.msstate.edu
Sat Sep 9 00:50:24 AEST 1989

We have had a nightmarish summer trying to get a SCSI card to work in our
Sun 4/280 with a Wren V drive.  We had a Ciprico controller in June but
after 3 weeks of effort Ciprico told us we needed a revision 14 or higher
CPU board (we have a rev 8).  We had a Xylogics 720 controller from
July-August but it would never work; we even shipped Xylogics our Wren V
so that they could duplicate our problems and fix their driver. Xylogics
was able to duplicate our problems but after two weeks of keeping our
drive they could not fix their driver so we finally requested our drive
back.  We now have our Wren V hanging off of a SUN 3/60 but we sure would
like to move it to our SUN 4/280.

We are in the market for any SCSI card that works in a SUN 4/280
(including SUN's SCSI adapter).

Question #1:
Does anybody have a SCSI card in a SUN 4/280 with a Wren V hanging off
of it?

Question #2
Sun will sell you a SCSI controller for a SUN 4/280.  What manufactorer
makes this controller?  Does anybody have one installed?

Thanks a lot.

  Bob Reese (reese at ee.msstate.edu)
  (601) 325-3912