Is the Sun setting?

J Grant Bristow jgb at medisun.med.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 9 03:10:19 AEST 1989

I can't believe what Sun's telling me!  I ordered a SPARCstation in June
and still haven't received it!  First they told me it was shipping in a
month.  Then by the end of August.  Then September 5th.  Now September 27!

The reason for the delay was the 19" monochrome monitor.  My salesman told
me the frame buffers were backordered.  Now they say the country kits are
backordered!  Give me a break!

I was at Sun Expo and Scott McNealy admitted that Sun had problems when
they switched inventory systems.  But he assured the audience the problems
were corrected and Sun was "back on schedule".

Not to beat a dead horse, I am disillusioned with Sun.  Actually, I am
pissed!  Many thoughts are going through my mind ( DEC ... HP ... IBM -
yikes - ....).

I'm interested in your experiences.  If you ordered a SPARCstation, how
long did it take you to get yours?  When did you order it?  Was it
monochrome?

Grant Bristow
UCLA, Dept. of Medicine