Is the Sun setting?

Stephen Kelley kelso at mimsy.umd.edu
Fri Sep 22 22:58:36 AEST 1989

In article <1507 at brazos.Rice.edu>, jgb at medisun.med.ucla.edu (J Grant Bristow) writes:
> I can't believe what Sun's telling me!  I ordered a SPARCstation in June
> and still haven't received it!  First they told me it was shipping in a
> month.  Then by the end of August.  Then September 5th.  Now September 27!
> yikes - ....).

> I'm interested in your experiences.  If you ordered a SPARCstation, how
> long did it take you to get yours?  When did you order it?  Was it
> monochrome?

We (Welch Medical Library, AIS) were *promised* if we were good & sent in
our order by the end of June we'd get our 9 SPARCS + 1 SPARCserver (all
fully loaded. Read: $$$) we'd get our systems by mid-August. After 3 bogus
ship dates we got 4 SPARCS the 2nd week of Sept & they were ***SANS
DISKS***. Ever hear of a diskless SPARC???  After major flaming & ranting
& raving we were sent 4 the way we ordered them w/in a week & the
remaining 5 (stations that is) in another week. We STILL haven't received
our server!!!. We're under a rather tight schedule to get a system up (ie
some type of prototype by the end of Oct) by the folks who gave us the
$$$. We're more than satisfied w/ the performance of the SPARCS but we're
****LESS**** than even mollified w/ SUN.