When Users Talk ...

David.Eckhardt at b.gp.cs.cmu.edu David.Eckhardt at b.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 28 06:28:43 AEST 1989

	Date:    Tue, 26 Sep 89 21:46 EDT
	From:    Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil
	Subject: Re: warning about SparcStation configuration

	It's been my experience that Sun listens to complaints.

Well, given his e-mail address, I'm not surprised that he's had that
experience.

Then again, perhaps that's not fair--I've always found Sun willing to
LISTEN but very often unwilling or unable to HELP.

Lest anybody claim I'm waving unfounded generalizations around:

(1) Very often source code is just plain unavailable (such as binary-only
patches, which are, of course, to important modules, otherwise they
wouldn't be patched, right?).

(2) Last time I was "in the loop" Sun support for the INTERNET STANDARD
hostname resolution protocol (the network is the computer, maybe, but THE
INTERNET IS *THE* NETWORK!) was (still) sub-standard (ie, binary patches).
Even if I missed them getting it right in the past few months, that's
still a multi-YEAR wait.

I speak from, but not for, CMU.

--Daemon