Source for "mon" disk statistics, etc., utility?

Douglas P. Kingston dpk at morgan.com
Thu Sep 7 02:27:58 AEST 1989

The program "mon' (and its brother "pmon") both originate from BRL.  I
don't know if a the source is currently ftp'able, but you could try
vgr.brl.mil.  I have modified it for SunOS 4.0 with a couple of minor
exceptions (I have not removed some of the obsolete references to items in
the vmmeter structure).  I will try to put these two programs into a
releasable form in the next week or so.  Mon is basicly a curses based
vmstat/iostat/pstat type process.  It runs on Vaxen and Gould with one or
two processors (if running the Purdue dual processor hack), Suns under
3.x, and Suns under 4.x.  It may also work to some extent on other BSD
derived systems.  Generally some minor tweaking is necessary if the kernel
has been hacked.  I would be happy to collect portability fixes.  Pmon is
a curses based ps like program. It displays for a single process, most of
the interesting parts of the proc and user structures, signal status and
all the open file descriptors.  It has hooks to traverse the process tree.
Once you've used it, its indispensible.

Credits:

Mon has had a lot of fingers in it.  I believe the major contributors are
Phil Dykstra, Mike Muuss, Ron Natalie, Bob Miles, Terry Slattery, Bill
Mermagen, and myself.  Pmon is primarily the work of Phil Dykstra (much of
the infrastructure is lifted from mon).  I have done the work for
SunOS4.0.

-Doug-