Stale NFS Handles

T. William Wells bill at twwells.com
Thu Sep 14 04:58:23 AEST 1989

I'm sure this one has been hashed out before.... We keep getting these
"stale NFS handle" messages. For example, I log in, get one of these, and
a complaint about no home directory. There is, of course, nothing wrong
with my home directory. These typically happen late at night but not
always. We have a network of Sun3's running 4.0 and Sun386i's running
4.0.1. We also have a bunch of PC's running PC-NFS.

Sun asserts that we are the only site having this problem and that we must
have done something wrong in setting things up. And so they won't help us.
What I have to say about that kind of support is unprintable, so I won't
say it....

Any help would be appreciated; this problem has serious consequences for
us. For example, we just lost three man days of work because one of these
things happened during a backup, losing the backup, and, of course,
someone lost a file that would have been on that backup.

Thanks in advance.

bill at twwells.com