Setting up a Sun as a router

Stephen C. Pope scp at acl.lanl.gov
Tue Feb 27 04:17:18 AEST 1990

dg0951 at cec1.wustl.edu (Daniel Geist) said:

> I am trying to set up my sun as a router without much success. I have an
> extra Ethernet card and I can talk to both my networks. But no machine on
> one side can talk to a machine on the other side. I seems like my sun does
> not pass packets between sides. I have for each side two different class B
> numbers i.e 128.252.123.xxx and 128.252.145.xxx. If anyone has done this
> before I need your help I seem to be missing something.

Make sure that ip forwarding is turned on in your kernal; use adb to check
the variable ``ipforwarding''.  Also make sure that you've got the proper
default routing set up on both your hosts on either side of the host doing
the routing so that they know how to get to each other.  I've noted
problems doing this until I used the ``default'' option to route instead
of trying to specify the network explicitly.

stephen pope
advanced computing lab, lanl
scp at acl.lanl.gov