Sun Education Classes - not for emacs users

Ralph Finch caldwr!rfinch at caldwr.water.ca.gov
Fri Jun 29 09:46:34 AEST 1990

In article <9409 at brazos.Rice.edu> maul at asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) writes:
>When I took a Sunview class there a few years ago I brought my own copy of
>emacs on a cartridge tape and installed it on the account they gave me.
>
>I suggest that everyone taking a class at Sun who wants to use emacs do
>the same.

This is a real gripe I have with Sun.  We are all using GNU Emacs here
because vi is terrible, and textedit is cute but useless for serious
projects.  Plus we have added a lot of pseudo-intelligent interfacing to
various things such as RCS with elisp.  Problem is, I may be the only user
here who would know how to set up emacs on another machine.  So if some of
our users want to take classes (and they do) then either I have to go
along to set up emacs or they have to learn another editor which is
useless at work.

I wish Sun would cut the marketing hype about how "open" they are and
start listening to real customers.  The Fortran 1.3 fiasco is a good
example of how image comes before substance.

Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch at water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch
Any opinions expressed are my own; they do not represent the DWR