3rd party disks for SLC's

Bruce Allen ballen at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Thu Jun 14 07:45:42 AEST 1990

I don't have experience with the SLC, but I do have experience with
SparcStations.  The short answer to your question is, don't buy disks from
Sun.  They are too expensive, and you have to pay for service.

At the moment, the disks I am buying are 660 Mbyte formatted, from
R-Squared 800-777-3478.  These disks are in a box, cabled, and ready to
go.  They cost $2112 and have a 5 (five) year warranty.  The basic disk is
a Fujitsu M2263S.

Smaller size disks are cheaper.

Even with discounts, a 327 Mbyte disk from Sun cost 3K, has a 90 day
warranty, and you have to pay about $60/month for maintenance.  Five year
warranties buy peace of mind.  They are a good idea.  (HP also have 5 year
warranties on disks.)

Conclusion: Don't buy from Sun.