add_services problem

Peter Steele aucs!peter at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Jan 19 01:11:10 AEST 1991

We received our SunOS 4.1.1 upgrade for our Sun 3 stations on 9-track
tape.  Instead of sending it back to get it on cartridge tape we decided
to access the tapes from the Sun 3 remotely via our Sun 4's 9-track drive.
We added the name of the Sun 3 to the Sun 4's .rhosts file, but when we
run add_services and specify the remote drive, it says that permission is
denied and says to check the .rhosts file. We tried the same thing with an
SLC and the remote tape access worked file. We've tried it with 3
different Sun 3's and all complain. Is this a bug or something with
Sun-3s?  Is a remote tape upgrade not supported?