Project Athena ( was Re: Non Destructive Version of rm)

Steven Freed CIRT sfreed at ariel.unm.edu
Sat May 11 03:39:41 AEST 1991

In article <12112 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:

> I NEVER said anything about trusting every machine on the internet. Is there
> no way of telling a system to "trust" only a select few others?

O.K., Let's take this very simple example:

Let's say that foobar.cc.purdue.edu is one of your so-callled "trusted"
systems. One night foobar crashes, or better yet, you announce that on
Thursday, June 23 at 18:00 you are going to take foobar down for
an upgrade or maintenance. I sit in my dorm room, or in the MATH dept.
or any where else on the net with my trusty little cpu of brand X with
an ethernet card. as soon as I see foobar is down, I bring my little
box on line as ...........foobar.cc.purdue.edu!!!!!!

Now, tell me how secure your system is.

Steve.                    sfreed at ariel.unm.edu