Project Athena ( was Re: Non Destructive Version of rm)

The Grand Master asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu
Sat May 11 06:06:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991May10.173941.8778 at ariel.unm.edu> sfreed at ariel.unm.edu writes:
}
}In article <12112 at mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
}
}> I NEVER said anything about trusting every machine on the internet. Is there
}> no way of telling a system to "trust" only a select few others?
}
}O.K., Let's take this very simple example:
}
}Let's say that foobar.cc.purdue.edu is one of your so-callled "trusted"
}systems. One night foobar crashes, or better yet, you announce that on
}Thursday, June 23 at 18:00 you are going to take foobar down for
}an upgrade or maintenance. I sit in my dorm room, or in the MATH dept.
}or any where else on the net with my trusty little cpu of brand X with
}an ethernet card. as soon as I see foobar is down, I bring my little
}box on line as ...........foobar.cc.purdue.edu!!!!!!
}
}Now, tell me how secure your system is.

Very - If I have foobar.cc.purdue.edu connected via a direct line of
some sort. As long as I tell my system to trus foobar ONLY when it is
soming from a dedicated, hard-wired port, then all is well, and any requests
you make will be rejected.
		Bruce

>--
>
>Steve.                    sfreed at ariel.unm.edu

---------
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg at sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #