comp.unix.aix

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:26:45 AEST 1989

In <13297 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> fink at nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul fink) writes:

Paul> When this group was founded. It was to be linked with the Bitnet AIX-L
Paul> mailing list. Unfortunately, I blew it and the group was formed
Paul> unmoderated. To be linked with the AIX-L mailing list the group must
Paul> be moderated so that all postings will go though the mail list. I am
Paul> told that this will not change the nature of the Usenet group.

It would change the nature.  All postings would have to go through a
single clearing point.

Paul> Can we do this with out a vote?

Not really.  A change to moderatedness of an unmoderated group has
traditionally been an issue for voting.  +However+ you don't have to
moderate the group at all.  You can use a news2mail <=> mail2news
gateway to accomplish getting the group and list linked.  This
gatewaying would still all happen at one machine, but there isn't the
burden of moderation.  All of the gnu.* groups are handled this way.
Both comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.wizards are handled this way.
Further examples exist on the net.

I have it on good authority that a mail/news gatewaying package will
be available in comp.sources.unix within the month.  Perhaps the
programmer of that package will (or even has) send you copy if you
feel a need to get the link set up as soon as possible.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))