Problem with Curses, AIX 3., RS/6000

Peter Mroz mroz at eplrx7.uucp
Wed Aug 22 05:29:01 AEST 1990

Hello netters,

I'm having a weird problem with curses on an IBM 530 RS/6000 running
golden code.  I've tried to reduce the problem to its essentials in the
small test program included below.  Basically, the program works when I
include curses.h and link to -lcur.  However, one is supposed to use -lcurses
with curses.h.  This is what I'd prefer to do, as -lcurses includes such
niceties as box, wattron, and wattroff.  The problem I have when I link to
-lcurses is that stuff written to the right edge of the screen gets shifted
over to the left by one character.  Here's sample output from the program that
works:

$ testc
                                                                           +   +

                                                                           12345

                                                                           +   +

This program writes the top line OK, but the rest of the stuff is shifted
over to the left by one character:

$ testc1

                                                                           +   +

                                                                          12345

                                                                          +   +

Thanks for any help.

/* testc.c */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <curses.h>

main ()
{
        WINDOW *testwin;
        char *numbers = "12345";
        initscr();
        testwin = newwin(5, 5, 0, 75);
        mvwaddch(testwin, 0, 0, '+');
        mvwaddch(testwin, 0, 4, '+');
        mvwaddch(testwin, 4, 0, '+');
        mvwaddch(testwin, 4, 4, '+');
        mvwaddstr(testwin, 2, 0, numbers);
        wrefresh(testwin);
        sleep(5);
        endwin();
        exit(0);
}
# Makefile for testc and testc1
CFLAGS= -g

all:    testc testc1

testc:  testc.o
        cc $(CFLAGS) testc.o -o testc -lcur

testc1: testc.o
        cc $(CFLAGS) testc.o -o testc1 -lcurses
--
    Peter Mroz                    |    E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mroz at uunet.uu.net      |    Consultant, Scicon
--
The UUCP Mailer