changing the console; alloca missing from 9021?

jsalter at slo.paloalto.ibm.com jsalter at slo.paloalto.ibm.com
Sun Aug 5 08:27:21 AEST 1990

In article <3048 at awdprime.UUCP> dcm at austin.ibm.com (Craig Miller) writes:
>In article <1990Aug3.170532.11038 at ibmpa> jsalter at slo.UUCP (James Salter) writes:
>>One of the mysteries of AIXv3.1 is the following:
>>	To access the alloca() function, you need to add the following
>>	line to the beginning of your SOURCE code:
>>
>>		#pragma alloca
>>
>>	This will make the alloca() routine available for use.
>
>	Jim, you sound like this is cruel & unusual.  I personally think
>	if you use alloca, you get what you deserve (unportable code).

I didn't mean to imply that it was cruel & unusual.  The man page, however,
is not clear as to how to use the alloca() subroutine.  Thus, many people
find compiler errors, with respect to alloca(), mysterious.  Even we had
problems finding it when we first looked for it.

>	Craig Miller, contractor @ IBM AWD, Austin
>	UUCP: ..!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!toysrus.austin.ibm.com!dcm

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: ibmsupt!jsalter at uunet.uu.net         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
	  "I'm going to win.  I always do."
			George Steinbrenner, on ESPN.