What is the latest X version on ps2 ?

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Thu Dec 6 13:03:47 AEST 1990

In article <20301 at oolong.la.locus.com> richp at romulus.UUCP (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) writes:
>The existence of XsightExtension in the AIX server hints at
>involvement by Locus in the development of the X product.

I know that.  What's it DO?  That's the question! :-)

>>but when someone starts DOS in an X-window, there are problems
>>opening the "dos6x13" font even though we have it (in a native X11R4 snf
>>format).  Is there anything that DOS Merge is doing which would cause a
>>font lookup to fail??
>This is a "we don't support it yet" but if you send me the details of how
>to reproduce it, I'll give it a shot.  I just ran the R4 server and brought
>up dos with no problem, but I'm running a really odd software configuration.

Well, the configuration is just as I said.

	1.) AIX PS/2 1.2 DOS Merge (but note: same problem occurred on PS/2 1.1)
	2.) MIT X11R4 PS/2 build with latest MIT patches

Setting the XMERGE environment var and running "dos" within an xterm
window, you get "can't open dos6x13 font, using server default".  I'll
bet it's a C compiler bug causing something untoward in the X11R4
server build.  You see, if I set my DISPLAY to an RT running AOS4.3
with the MIT server (and the X11R4 dos6x13 font installed on that
server) DOS pops up there fine with the correct DOS font.  I believe
the C compiler released with AIX 1.2 is still the AIX 1.1 C compiler, no?
It would not surprise me at all if you were using something later with this
(not-fully-characterized) bug fixed.

Anyway, that's one hypothesis.  I'd love to know what compiler you were
using to build the X11R4.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer