AIX 1.2 Diskette Overload

Robin D. Wilson/1000000 robin at sabre.austin.ibm.com
Thu Jul 12 00:36:23 AEST 1990

In article <1331 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>AIX PS/2 V1.2 is even more diskettes than V1.1!
>TOTAL ..........85
>
>Now don't get me wrong -- I LIKE having all these things.
>It just seems a little too much to expect me to shuffle (or even just to
>store) 85 diskettes.  Oh yes,  speaking of shuffling, don't forget that
>the applying the update diskettes means:
>   insert disk 1
>   insert disk 1, insert disk 2
>   insert disk 1, insert disk 2, insert disk 3
>   insert disk 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
>
>I will recommend to management that AIX NOT be purchased for additional
>PS/2 machines, because it COSTS TOO MUCH (personnel cost) to INSTALL!!!
>(Yes, TCF can help ... IF all your machines are close enough to have on
>a LAN; not the case for us.)

The files on the update can be restored to a sufficiently large filesystem
and then "re - backed - up" to any format you wish (ie. a very large file
on disk, or a streaming tape).  Be sure to use the "restore -x" and the
"backup -ivf <file>" commands (and not tar/dd/cpio).  Once on another format
the backup can be distributed to another machine in this format (or across
the network as a mounted file).  Also, just a suggestion.. try making one
system with the base of operation that you want.. ie. BOS, Xwindows, BNU
or whatever.  Then back that system up to a more palletable media like
tapes.  Distribute the tapes, and leave the diskettes as a backup, or for
installing machine specific products (assuming all machines don't have
all the products).  BACKING UP ONE SYSTEM, AND RESTORING IT TO OTHERS
IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE UPDATES.  The updates should be applied using
the updatep command.  (But updatep WILL work with the previously described
"re - backed - up" distribution methods.

These suggestions both work quite well on the RT version of AIX (v.2.2.1).
But my office mate is a PS/2 support person and guarantees that they work
on PS/2's as well... But your mileage may vary based on road conditions.

Also... on the RT AIX there is a command called "/etc/bffcreate".  This
command will allow you to reformat (to a different media) the updates.
You might check and see if it is available on the PS/2.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin             |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-4526                       |