AIX PS/2 quota and getty

Steve DeJarnett steve at qe2.paloalto.ibm.com
Tue Jul 31 11:25:47 AEST 1990

In article <6410 at hydra.Helsinki.FI> lehtonen at cs.Helsinki.FI (Tapio Lehtonen) writes:
>AIX PS/2 seems to have disk space quotas that can be set for individual
>users.  I have learned that I am supposed to create a file named quota
>to the root of every disk partition, but I am baffeled by no indication
>of what to write to that file.  Somehow it should indicate those users
>that have a quota on that particular partition and the size of that
>quota.

	The quota file is a data file (i.e. it's not freeform text -- it's
created by a program).  The following should get you mostly set up.  Most of
this is from memory, so consult the man pages if it doesn't work:

	1) First you need a quota file so that quotaon won't complain.  To do
	   this, just touch the file quotas in the root directory of the
	   filesystem you want to activate quotas in.  i.e.

		touch /u/quotas

	   Do this for every filesystem you want quotas on.

	2) Now all users will have no quotas (i.e. unlimited).  You should
	   change quotas for all users that you want to have quotas on each
	   filesystem.  Do this with edquota.  edquota will place you into vi
	   (unless your EDITOR environment variable is set, in which case it
	   will place you into that editor).  There will be one line per
	   filesystem that has quotas enabled:

		fs  /u blocks (soft = 0, hard = 0)  inodes (soft = 0, hard = 0)

	   You should change the soft and hard limits for both blocks and
	   inodes. Simply change these in the editor, then save the file.
	   After saving the file, the quota will be updated in the filesystem.

	3) Now you need to check the quotas to fill in the quotas file.  Do
	   this with quotacheck:

		quotacheck /u

	   It will print out various information about each user (basically
	   what their current usage is).

	4) You can now see what the usage with repquota:

		repquota /u

	   This will show everyone's usage, along with their quotas.

	5) To enable quotas to be checked, type:

		quotaon /u

	6) To turn off quotas, type:

		quotaoff /u

>Tapio Lehtonen                        PHONE + 358 0 7084206

	Hope that helps.

Steve DeJarnett			Internet: ibmsupt!steve at uunet.uu.net
IBM AWD Palo Alto		UUCP:	  uunet!ibmsupt!steve
(415) 855-3510			VNET:     dejarnet at ausvmq
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......