X11R4 ported to RS/6000?

Steve DeJarnett steve at qe2.uucp
Fri Jul 6 10:59:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul5.010933.19060 at moore.com> bragrt!bragotrt!scott at moore.com writes:
	[ Just so everyone else knows..... ]
[ The question was "Has anyone ported X11R4 to the RS/6000?" ]
>We have a model 320 running 9013S5, although I will be re-installing with
>9021 any day now.  The copy of X11R4 we have is from a very recent Uunet tape
>distribution so I'm assuming it has all of the recent patches.

	Well, the IBM MIT server won't work due to the fact that it was written
for the RT and PS/2.  It only supports the displays and display adapters that
these machines support.  While the 6091 display is similar to the Megapel
(5081) that would work on the RT, the display adapter is different.

	Without code to drive the display adapter, the rest of the server won't
do too much for you.  You can compile and run the X11R4 clients on the RS/6000,
and display them on any system running X11R4.

	For now, the only X server available for the RS/6000 is the AIXWindows
server that you can buy from IBM.  It is based on X11R3, with Display Postscript
extensions.

Steve DeJarnett			Internet: steve%ibmsupt at uunet.uu.net
IBM AWD Palo Alto		UUCP:	  ibmsupt!steve at uunet.uu.net
(415) 855-3510			VNET:     dejarnet at ausvmq
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......