Berkeley Utilities & Other Questions (long)

fox at cycvax.nscl.msu.edu fox at cycvax.nscl.msu.edu
Sat Jun 9 03:06:41 AEST 1990

In article <1912 at nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, bobd at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob Debula) writes...

>In article <3635 at rodan.acs.syr.edu>, avilla at rodan.acs.syr.edu (Aldo
>Villa) writes:
..
>> I'm somehow discouraged by all the above; and I'm even more discouraged when
>> I read of the attempts to standardize UNIX worldwide; but then it comes out
>> that there are two of these standardization consortiums; actually, not true:
>> they are three: OH MY GOD, WHAT A MESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Open Software Foundation (IBM & cronies) & UNIX International (AT&T, Sun, and
>cronies) are the two I know about, who's the third?  (Keep in mind some
>folks belong to both consortiums).

ISO - International Standards Organization and ANSI are both working on the
	POSIX standard which is, among other things, a standard for operating
        systems calls which is based on UNIX.  Now, OSI says it's compatible
	with POSIX... the only problem is that there are differences between
	ANSI POSIX and ISO POSIX