NFS mounts on R6000

Matt Landau mlandau at bbn.com
Sun Mar 25 17:43:02 AEST 1990

hudgens at fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) writes:
>  We have a 9005? version of AIX on a loaner R6000 on which we have
>been unable to import NFS filesystems.  We have a server running
>ULTRIX 3.0 and when we try:
>    ibm# mount -v nfs dechost:/dechost/a /dechost/a
>    mount: server dechost not responding: RPC: Authentication error;
>	    why = Invalid client credential

Make sure that 'root' on the RIOS isn't in more than 8 groups (including
its default group in /etc/passwd).

NFS servers before SunOS 4.0 fail if asked to authenticate a request from
a root login in more than 8 groups.  I'd guess that the Ultrix 3.0 server
has the same limitation.  Reducing the number of groups for root on our
RIOS allowed us to mount both SunOS 3 and Ultrix 3.0 filesystems with no
problems.
--
 Matt Landau			Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau at bbn.com			  in all this blood and thunder