NFS mounts on R6000

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Mar 26 16:09:01 AEST 1990

In article <638224881.8222 at myrias.com> dr at myrias.com (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
>  After I removed root from some of the groups (so that root was in <8
>groups) the 3.5 filesystems were mountable. But now we get:
>
>NFS ACL operations not supported on server xxx: RPC: Program unavailable
>
>  ...whenever we try to cd into the filesystem. You can read files
>and get directory listings okay however.
>
>  The local IBM people do not understand unix very well, so esoteric
>bugs such as this are really beyond them.

This is not exactly a bug.  NFS is telling you that the server does
not support Access Control Lists.  If you NFS mount another AIX 3.1
machine you should not receive this message.

Your best bet is probably to scream loudly in the direction of the
person responsible for the RS/6000 NFS code and have the message sent
"someplace else."

On 9011 between a Model 530 and a RT/PC running 2.2.1, I only received
the message two or three times per mount.  Typically once or twice
immediately after the mount, then possibly once or twice after some
operation on the remote filesystem.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org