Patch tape: install from remote tape?

Andrew J. Schorr schorr at ead.dsa.com
Thu Oct 11 01:32:09 AEST 1990

We have a Sun Sparcstation 1 with an Exabyte 8mm drive
attached to it.  We also have an IBM RS/6000 320.  We also
have an 8mm patch tape.  I'll bet you can guess what I want
to do.

However, if I follow the patch instructions, I am never given
the opportunity to specify a remote tape drive.  Perhaps it
was naive of me to assume that IBM would support the rmt
protocol for using remote tape drives (or perhaps I'm
not looking in the right place).

I know that the Sun can read the tape, as I have been able
to use dd to read the files on the tape.

I find it hard to believe that IBM expects me to purchase
a tape drive for their machine when I already have tape drives
available on other machines on the network.  I imagine the
official response might be that I can use diskettes to load
the patch, but I don't consider that an acceptable response.

Can anyone tell me how to install the patch using
a tape drive attached to a remote machine?

Perhaps the answer to this question is RTFM, but, if so,
please tell me how to find the relevant manual (probably
somewhere in InfoExplorer, but where!?!?!).

-Andy